Flash fiction, short stories, poetry …
Random header image... Refresh for more!

Dude, where are you?

I

do apologise — it’s been a rather busy few weeks.

I’ve just started working with a new-start games company in Edinburgh and, to celebrate, have moved flat. I think I’ve carted more books up and down stairs than existed in the original Library of Alexandria, and that’s after a few trips to the charity shops. So, ancient Egypt, if you want them back, you know where I am…

On the plus side, the guy driving the removal van was also a promoter for circus performers and had been a clown for years. Neat. I wish I’d asked: ‘What kind of clown operation is this?’ I’m sure he’d have had a fantastic answer that involved a thrown bucket of confetti with a brick in the bottom…

As for the games, well, par-for-the-course, there’s a few(1) things going on at once, and I’m furiously learning about what the iOS doo-dads are all about (iPhones, iPads, etc.)

Bear with me. Normal writing (and reading) will resume shortly when the panic subsides and ‘I’m one’ with IAP(2) and ARPU(3) and have a couple of game designs sitting on a virtual desk, bound in virtual Naga hide,

Stephen.

PS: Next up on ‘Black Door’ — ‘The Wake’.

(1) That’s a metric ‘few’ which equals about 3.2 imperial ‘squillions’.

(2) In-App Purchasing / buying stuff.

(3) Average Revenue Per User.

11 comments

1 Stephen { 10.15.11 at 2:23 pm }

No worries. We’ll be here when you have the time to write again.

2 Steve Green { 10.15.11 at 3:17 pm }

I’m sure The Clutcher and Mr Softly will be grisling their way back to these pages in due course, in the meantime, good luck with the new job, and the move. :)

PS. I think it was probably a wise move not to try that line on the driver. :)

3 Helen { 10.16.11 at 8:04 am }

We’ll be here waiting for you when you’re ready. Good luck in the new job and happy moving! ^_^

4 Aidan Fritz { 10.16.11 at 6:08 pm }

Congratulations on the job and the move!

5 Jenny Dreadful { 10.17.11 at 1:13 am }

Good luck and congrats! Do hope you’ll be back to writing soon.

6 Gita { 10.18.11 at 12:39 am }

How did you find a moving company that moves circus clowns? All I get when I hire a van are the clowns. Wish I could cross the mighty ocean and be there for your flat-warming party.

7 Mark { 10.18.11 at 1:52 pm }

All the best with the new job! :)

8 Stephen Hewitt { 10.30.11 at 8:36 am }

@Stephen — thanks Stephen :)

The time sure shoots by when I’ve got my head down working on (exhausting myself on) games stuff. I’ve now been entirely remiss in my lack of postings/readings for an even longer period, but am aiming to get back into things, even if just in a fragmentary fashion, for now ;)

9 Stephen Hewitt { 10.30.11 at 8:41 am }

@Steve — Thanks Steve. Clutcher and Mr Softly organized a small, informal gathering by way of celebration.

I felt it wise not to attend.

Thanks for the gratz on the job/move. Yeah, I didn’t want to noise up the driver and have the wheels come off, the hood pop off, and get myself ejected thirty feet in the air with a puff of confetti… lol.

10 Stephen Hewitt { 11.13.11 at 11:01 pm }

@Helen — thanks Helen. Moving and jobs… always…. interesting. :)

11 Stephen Hewitt { 11.13.11 at 11:09 pm }

@Aidan — thanks Aidan :)

@Jenny — thanks Jenny. Not sure this counts as soon, but back again :)

@Gita — somehow, the clown thing is the kind of thing that happens to me on a regular basis. I love the clown thing. The flat-warming was great, though the cat embarrassed itself again:)

@Mark — thanks Mr W :)